Sunday, October 28, 2012

Celebrating the little things. Don't ever take them for granted.

I think as parents, sometimes we take the little things for granted. We expect our kids to walk at certain times, talk at certain times and do things that are expected that the guidelines are given to us by doctors and certain people.

I've never had anything go correctly or in the guidelines as doctors would have. I don't know what to expect as a parent. My oldest son has always been off the guidelines. He didn't walk when he was 'supposed' too. He didn't talk when he was 'supposed' too. And you know what? That's just fine with me.

Why? Well...I don't really think we appreciate any of these small things. I mean at first we do. We're so excited when our kids take those first steps, or say those first words. But for how long? I often hear many parents telling their kids to shut up. That irritates the hell out of me. Caleb didn't talk til he was 4. I would have given anything to hear him chatter up a storm. Or the fact that he struggled with walking until he was 3. Yep, another thing that I wish I could have seen and celebrated.

So with my other kids, I am so excited and just enjoy every little moment that they do the 'normal' things that other kids do. Maybe Caleb was given to me so I can appreciate life. I find myself cheering when my youngest son puts on a shirt. Or when my 5 year old writes a word.  I enjoy life more now that I've had to see my son struggle with it. It's so amazing to see what he can do now. I am so proud of him.

Enjoy the little things that your children do. Don't ever take another second of what they do for granted. You never know when they might not be able to to it. Every little thing they do is amazing and a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment