Sunday, October 21, 2012

Learning to let go....the case of the clingy parent.

This isn't my brightest moments as a parent. I have always wanted the best for my sons. Having a son with Autism has been...terrifying and enlightening at the same time. I don't always know what to do.  Balancing being an advocate for my son's rights and letting my son doing new things...it's hard! I want him to do new things, but I don't always know if it's the best thing for him.


I have a confession to make. I am that parent. I am paranoid. I am always terrified that Caleb isn't going to be comfortable in a situation. I hoover more than I should. I ask a 100 questions about certain activities when most parents ask one or two.


Why? Well, I can't say it's his Autism. It's me. I am a scared parent. I confess to being that parent. I want him to thrive and succeed in all possible ways. But I'm starting to realize that I am holding him back because of my paranoia.


I don't honestly know how to get rid of this fear....he's 11 now and I am starting to realize that I am a big fat baby when it comes to letting him do stuff. I make excuses and say oh no I don't think so...when I really don't actually know. It's time for that to stop. I have stopped for the most part, but there are still some times where I catch myself going back and making excuses.


Would I want him to make these excuses? Do I want him to use his Autism as an excuse? Nope. I have never ever allowed him to use it as an excuse, so I need to stop doing it myself. He has issues, he has problems, but he can cope through situations. I need to suck it up and be less of a clingy mom.


I am so proud of who Caleb has become. Just look at this young man. Look at how handsome he is. He has come so far and I need to allow him to become who he is meant to be. Time to let go and let him be the man he is meant to be. Yep...it's going to be hard. But...it has to happen.

I don't think I am a bad parent. Just learning as I go...and I have learned that I need to let go. No more clingy mom. Well...in some cases maybe, I need to let go and let him grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment